Thursday, October 7, 2010

My favourite Chole Masala for Lunch

Yesterday mom prepared chole masala or chole curry like they say naam mein kya rakha mere bhai whats there in a name. I just love when mom takes trouble and prepares my favourite meal I would like to thank  her for the effort and trouble she has taken to do so. I will be posting recipe soon.  This brings me memories of my childhood when mom prepared chole puris for me and packed it carefully in a tiffin and brought it in my school. I was in a convent school and there lunch time was at 12pm sharp and mom like all mommies she would bring lunch for me since I was little girl and she wanted me to eat homemade hot piping food. Oh what memories I have of those lunch delights which she prepared. I will surely post those recipes  sooner or later it will be useful tiffin or lunch ideas for kids today.Has all my friends enjoyed moms food.

Here is my version of my moms recipe for delicious chole curry
Chole Masala recipe:
1 cup chole channa or chickpeas soaked overnight
1 cup onions sliced
1 cup tomatoes chopped or cup of tomato boiledand pureed
1 cup green gravy masala
1 cup fried potato cubes optional
1tsp whole garam masala spices
1tsp homemade red kashmiri or red bedki chilly powder
1tsp homemade roasted jeera dhaniya ie cummin & coriander masala powder
1/4tsp haldi or turmeric
1/2tsp chole masala powder
salt to taste

Green gravy recipe
1 cup coriander leaves
1 onion chopped roughly
1 tomato
1 inch ginger
5 to 6 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp jeera or cummin
1 or 2 green chillies
1tsp red chilly powder
1/2tsp haldi
1tsp dhana jeera powder
Grind above ingridients and fry them in 1tsp oil and 1tsp ghee and keep aside.This  gravy can be used  has a base for many other dishes veg or non veg delights. If you like you can add a few leaves of  mint or pudina can be added if you want to enhance flavour but its best this way.

Preparation as follows
In a kadhai heat 2bsp ghee and 2bsp oil and add whole spices till splutter then add onions and  saute till brown and add chopped tomatoes and fry then add dry spices one by one add a little water so that spices dont get burnt  then add the green gravy and fry for some time then add boiled chickpeas add 1/2tsp of chole masala and add fried potatoes and add water has much thick or  thin you would like your gravy consistency  to be and boil for a minute or so. Then add the Tadka. and serve with hot rotis.

Tadka
In a pan 1tsp oil and 1/2tsp garlic finely chopped and 1 whole red chilly

 Serve with hot puris or phulkas or bhaturas but taste good even with  plain rice and rotis and sliced onion (laccha pyaaz) coriander and lemon sliced












No comments:

Post a Comment